5 Ways I Feel Pretty With A Chronic Illness


Chronic illness can be ugly. It's full of pills, dark circles, IVs, puking, injections, and pain. I used to really like dressing up and putting on makeup. But, my fatigue got to the point where it was difficult to continue these activities. I think many (if not all) human beings have the desire to feel physically attractive. So, what are some of my hacks for feeling beautiful even if my energy is low? 

1. Change out of your pajamas/sweats/lazy clothes. 

Even if you don't have the energy to leave the house, it really helps me feel good to get dressed every morning. Sure, I only leave the house 2 days a week if I'm lucky. But, staying in my pj's every day just made me feel yucky. So, every morning one of the first things I do is get up and pick an outfit that will be comfortable with how my body is feeling. If I'm having a costochondritis flare up? I wear loose, billowy dresses. If my knees are hurting, I wear tight jeggings with a nice top. Or if I'm bloated from an IBS flare-up I make sure to wear bottoms or dresses with a lot of "give" around my midsection. 

You don't have to shower and dress to the nines for this to give you a nice mental boost. A lot of times I get up, put on my clothes, deodorant, dry shampoo my hair, and I'm ready. 

2. Simplify Your Grooming Routing.

I used to shower every day. Not anymore though! Not only do I not have the energy for it, showering every day can be harmful according to the American Society of Dermatologists. It can dry you out and disrupt the good bacteria on your skin, making you more susceptible to infections. Now that I only bathe 2x a week, I have spoons for other stuff, like putting on makeup. 

I also have curly, frizzy hair. I used to get up every morning and fix it. Now, I sleep with hair curlers and a satin bonnet. When I wake up, my hair is already done and saves me even more spoons that I used to spend. 

3. Dedicate a "Spa Day" for yourself.

And, include things that you like! I love taking warm bubble baths with Epsom salt and bath bombs. I also bought a cheap, clay face mask from Walmart that I use to help me relax (I don't know why, but face masks always make me feel fancy). I also paint my finger and toenails. I do this routine weekly, and it helps me feel better for the rest of the week. 

4. Buy Makeup Your Skin Agrees With. 

Like others with EDS, I have very sensitive skin. My makeup used to break me out, which made me feel very self-conscious about my skin. Once I made the switch to mineral foundation my skin was much happier, which boosted my self-esteem! 

5. Use Pain Relieving Self Care. 

 One of the main things that take my spoons away is being in too much pain. Recently, I have started working regular massage therapy, OMT, and exercise into my routine. With my pain levels under control, I have more energy and I'm able to accomplish more on my own. And since my body feels good it improves my mental mood and confidence! 


Although it's not possible for me to feel like a million bucks every day, incorporating these small changes into my routine has given me more energy to spend on my appearance which makes me feel confident and happy. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts