Botox for TMJ: A Zebra's Perspective



Before I was ever diagnosed with Ehler-Danlos Syndrome, I was diagnosed with TMJ or Temporomandibular Joint Dysfunction. According to the Mayo Clinic,

"The temporomandibular joint or TMJ acts like a sliding hinge, connecting your jawbone to your skull. Dysfunction can lead to pain and discomfort.

Jaw pain, difficulty chewing, and clicking and locking of the jaw joint are some of the symptoms.

Common treatments include medications, bite guards, and physical therapy."

TMJ is incredibly common in EDS patients for several reasons. Many of us struggle with cranial cervical instability (CCI). If one of our cervical vertebrae gets shifted in the wrong direction, this can also cause our jaws to shift out of it's proper alignment, causing pain & inflammation.

Many EDS patients also grind their teeth at night, a possible symptom of the dystonia many of us develop according to this research.

This can lead to TMJ pain or aggravate it. Most mornings I would wake up and the left side of my face would be swollen due to TMJ. It hurt to eat. I followed my doctor's advice and stopped chewing gum and bought myself a bite guard. When my face would swell I would ice it and I was given a prescription for Mobic, an NSAID, to help with the inflammation. I tried OMT to help realign my jaw. When yawning, I put my fist under my jaw to keep myself from opening my mouth too wide. I started eating softer foods. I saw a massage therapist who was specially certified to help treat TMJ. Nothing really seemed to work.

I started hearing more & more about Botox as a treatment for TMJ. But, I didn't know the first thing about it. So, I started doing research. I asked friends who had the treatment done. I finally decided I wanted to try it.

You may have to call around for a doctor who performs this procedure, I did. But, I finally found a pain management doctor who regularly performs Botox for TMJ and migraine (oh yeah, it treats migraines too! An additional bonus!).

I scheduled my procedure and I waited, excited to finally have some pain relief. I did experience some hurdles with insurance, but after a few phone calls it was resolved and I was ready to go!

 Before my procedure. I'm just a little nervous!
And, immediately after. No recovery time!

On the day of my procedure, I went to an outpatient surgery center. When it was my turn, I was brought back into an operating room. A couple of nurses scrubbed my face and neck before the doctor began injecting me. It did burn slightly, but it was only uncomfortable, not painful. He injected the back of my neck, jaw, and forehead (Btw, I did ask and this same procedure treats forehead lines. Another bonus!). Altogether the appointment was less than 15 minutes and I drove myself home.

 I felt the results beginning the next day. The huge knot that used to be on the left side of my jaw was gone! My face was finally even again! I was unable to open my jaw as wide as I used to be (which is good, because I could literally sublux my jaw if I opened it too wide). I also used to wake myself up during the night with my teeth grinding, but since I've done Botox, I haven't woken myself up once. :)

The procedure needs to be repeated every four months to remain effective. But, after a month I still feel the benefits and I definitely plan to return for another round! As always, your experience may vary. And, it's best to talk to your doctor about what's best for you. But, I'm definitely happy with my results.

Comments

Popular Posts